The Generosity Continues…

James Buddell

Left to right: John Kopp, Dave Buck, and Gretchen Daughtery present the Holmes Family Education and Training Foundation information to Taft High seniors.

Since 2013, Fred and Barbara Holmes have been dedicated in helping the students of Taft High in providing many types of scholarships. They will be accepting approximately 25% of the senior class going to a vocational school, AA/AS community college, or a four year university. To qualify for submitting an application students must be a graduating senior who has attended Taft High for at least two years and have a 2.0 GPA or a 3.0 GPA for the 4-year university. John Kopp reminds students that, “We are not looking for saints, we are looking for kids who are ready to engage and learn and grow.”

An essay along with SAT and ACT scores must be submitted for the 4-year university scholarship program. Between January 15th to February 4th applicants must create an account, complete an application, request their high school transcript, download their attendance history, and request their official student records. Students should be prepared to provide a clear headshot for the application. Once completed, an email will be sent out with interview times. The interview hours are flexible and can work around students’ busy schedules.The interview is a way for the program to understand each applicant as a person. Sample questions are provided on the Holmes website.

The program is a great way to achieve, “academic success, personal growth, service to others, and life coaching” according to the Holmes Family Education and Training Foundation. If chosen, students will be doing community service and attending seminars during their time with the program–along with being provided one-on-one mentoring and a ‘great’ transition into adult life.