Oil Tech Dedication: Fred and Barbara Holmes

Fred and Barbara Holmes recognized by Paul Linder

The Oil Tech program had a meeting and BBQ on August 18th at the Taft Oil Museum. TUHS District Board President Paul Linder attended the meeting and announced the dedication of a Taft High building to Fred and Barbara Holmes. Paul Linder explained how the two were, “very deserving” and “selfless people.” The Mr. and Mrs. Holmes were also recognized for everything they have done and donated to this academy. Paul Linder acknowledged this by stating, “these people were a big part of making this academy what it is today.” Fred and Barbara Holmes were surprised about the dedication, but grateful.

The rest of the meeting was continued with with guest speaker Michelle Residori from CRC. She elaborated how CRC is involved with the Oil Tech academy. They help with internships and allow students to experience what it’s like to work in the oil industry. They also had a former student from the Taft Oil Technology Academy, who graduated from Taft Union High school in 2007, Taylor Unruh, speak to the attendants.  Unruh, who studies at CSUB and graduated in 2012, is currently working at Chevron.

During Unruh’s speech he encourages the students to keep working hard, and that the program itself is, “quite amazing”. Paul Linder claimed, “Where I am today is definitely because of this program.” Toward the end of his speech, he said to the students that an old boss said to him, “If you show up on time and show up prepared, then everything else will fall into place.”

Prior to the meeting, the families and students were served food. After given time to mingle, the meeting then began with the pledge of allegiance led by Oil Tech president, Baylee Pritchett. The staff went down one by one introducing themselves to the crowd, Mr. Newton taking the time to crack a joke which broke the ice and led to a fantastic evening.