Harriet Turk’s Motivational Message

Harriet+Turk

Gusher Staff

Harriet Turk

As TUHS students began the new school year, with our WOW week, motivational speaker Harriet Turk of Memphis, Tennessee, came to Taft to inspire our student body about confidence and what it means to love themselves. Turk spoke about the ways students of Taft High could be motivated and self-assured, yet stay humble at the same time. Turk made a lasting impression on students and staff alike, “The connection was great; her humor and sarcasm made us all feel like we could relate with her,” described senior Kendra Dennis.

I later spoke with Turk to ask her a couple of questions which included why she chose to become a motivational speaker, what gets her through tough days, and any additional advice she might want to give. Turk responded by saying that she has found that people often connect better with a person they feel safe and comfortable with, and she is usually that person. During her most wearisome times, Turk explained that she gets her blood pumping by either going to boot camp classes or on walks, which generally helps get her mind off things.

Gusher Staff
Harriet Turk speaking to Taft High students

Turk’s extra advice included repeating this quote to yourself, “I am somebody special. If you don’t like me, TOUGH. Cuz’ I am cool enough, smooth enough, and doggone it, I am HOT enough to be who I want to be!” Saying this every day or simply when you feel unaccepted or unloveable is said to help motivate oneself. Turk also advised everyone to just hang on. In Turk’s own words, “Hang on. Things will get better if you just hang on. No one is happy all the time, and no one has everything go right 100% of the time.” All in all, Mrs. Harriet Turk’s message to all of us here at Taft Union High School is to always remember that we are enough. Continue doing what you’re best at–keep your life on track, and don’t allow others to dull your shine.