Cafeteria changes for this year give students options

Thalia Villanueva

(Photo credit: Thalia Villanueva) Apple-juice is one of four different juices distributed by the cafeteria. “We are offering more options. And the kids seem to like that,” new cafeteria manager, Brooke Cimental, says. The juice boxes are one of many changes to the cafeteria’s meal plan.

Taft Union High School, although 106-years-old, rapidly changes in front of students’ eyes. Among changes to the school, the school cafeteria appointed a new cafeteria manager. The new cafeteria manager is Brooke Cimental. There are new revisions to the cafeteria meal plan as well. For example, students are now able to choose from two main entrees, giving them a decision on what they’d like to eat. This seems to spark a new interest in students on campus. More students are attending the cafeteria to grab a meal. According to Brooke Cimental, cafeteria manager, the most exciting part for her is, “Seeing the kids come back to the cafeteria to eat. Before, our numbers were a little bit lower. Now we have seemed to grow because we are offering more options. And the kids seem to like that.” Another change in the meal plan was the removal of water bottles. Although the exact reason is unclear, Cimental says the removal “was one way to save money, toss the water bottles and just have dispensers on campus,” Cimental says.

Although her job is busy, Cimental is excited to see students in the cafeteria. Cimental works behind the scenes, ordering food, supplies, and managing the team. “My main responsibility is ordering all the food and supplies to keep our kitchen functioning,” Cimental said. “The women are working hard out there every day to prepare the meal; I’m the one on the back side of it, and I order the product to make the meal.”

Before starting her work as the Taft Union High School cafeteria manager, Cimental had been a cafeteria assistant manager for Bakersfield City School District and has also worked in many different positions within the Taft Union High School District. Cimental has learned food service since 2008.

Senior Yesica Guitron, however, says there can be even more changes to the meal plan. “I feel like they have the same food,” Guitron says. “The same exact options that they give us. Especially in like fast food, it’s like the same thing except they have juices.” When asked whether the water fountains provided are a good replacement for water bottles, Guitron says, “It is, but the cups that they provide us…it’s like it’s a little bit. And some teachers don’t allow uncapped waters in their classes.”

Another fellow senior, Tesla Barnes, also tells about how removing the water bottles affects her. “I used to drink four water bottles a day and now I don’t drink any,” Barnes says, “Tap water makes me sick so the water bottles were literally a life saver for me.”

Despite the water bottle removal, more changes are being made. Some students prefer the water bottles but otherwise, students seem to enjoy the opportunity of choosing their own meals and beverages.