Homecoming Court Includes 11 Seniors This Year

This year’s voting ended up in a tie, which means that Taft High’s homecoming court has five girls and six boys as candidates. These senior boys and girls are all excited to be a part of such a memorable high school event and are all enjoying experiencing it with their friends. Here is some more information on Taft High’s 2017-2018 Homecoming Court:

Courtesy of Lindsay Turner
Homecoming Queen Nominee Lindsay Turner’s senior picture

Lindsay Turner, a girl who says she isn’t afraid to show her school spirit, claims that she would be honored to be crowned Homecoming queen of the school she loves going to. Turner is involved in Oil Tech and is a manager of the football team. Turner stated in her interview, “If I did not win homecoming queen, I would be equally as happy for the person who does win it because, like I said, it’s an awesome opportunity to win Homecoming Queen. However, we are all queens in our own way.” While she admits she has rough competition, Turner said that her honest and kind personality is the reason people voted for her in the first place and she believes it will carry her on to winning the crown.

Courtesy of Brooklyn Yaws
Homecoming Queen Nominee Brooklyn Yaws’s senior portrait

Brooklyn Yaws is well-known around campus as she is involved with ASB, Human Element, Link Crew and S Club. Yaws says that even if she doesn’t take home the crown, she’s excited to be on the court in general and will celebrate anyone who does end up winning. When asked why she wants to win, Yaws admitted, “Homecoming queen is the first step to me continuing to be a bright light in a world filled with negativity because that is who I am and who I continually try to be everyday.” Yaws believes that Homecoming Queen has a lot to do with how involved you are in school and what you do to make it more enjoyable to be at school and that she is the person who fits that criteria.

Courtesy of Yearbook
Homecoming Queen Nominee Sarah Lopez’s senior picture

Volleyball player, ASB and Campus Life member, as well as member of several more clubs, Sarah Lopez was also nominated for Homecoming Queen. Lopez is honored, blessed and ecstatic to be on the court and can’t wait to see everyone dancing and having a good time at Homecoming. As Lopez said during an interview, “I look forward to spending this night next to some of my best friends. Taft is a great place full of great people and I can’t wait to hold such a memory with them.”

Courtesy of Taylor Hale
Homecoming Queen Nominee Taylor Hale’s senior picture

Taylor Hale, known star of the soccer field and track, feels even more famous now that she has the potential of being queen. While Hale admits she didn’t think she was this popular, she also said, “I’m funny, duh,” and she believes that is why people voted for her. Hale is always laughing, making jokes, and creating smiles wherever she goes and, for this, says she will make a great Homecoming Queen.  

Courtesy of Sierra Pilgrim
Homecoming Queen Nominee Sierra Pilgrim’s senior picture

Sierra Pilgrim is also on Taft High’s Homecoming Court this year. Pilgrim is involved in golf, basketball, Oil Tech, S Club and Leadership. Pilgrim’s older sister, Arizona Pilgrim, was also on the court, which makes this honor feel like a connection between Sierra and her sister. Pilgrim told us during her interview, “This makes me feel really good because I guess people have realized how outgoing and involved I am.”

Courtesy of Zach Self
Homecoming King Nominee Zach Self’s senior picture

Zach Self claims he is the funniest and most outgoing person and that’s why he was nominated. Self says he can make friends with anyone but, at the same time, didn’t realize he was this popular. He says he would love to win but that he’ll be happy for anyone who wins because the boys nominated are his close friends. Self asked if he could end his interview with, “Vote for me because I’m obviously too legit.”

Courtesy of Yearbook
Homecoming King Nominee Fano Maui’s senior picture

Senior Fano Maui feels like he definitely wasn’t this well-known but is still honored to be on the court for such an amazing school. With a total of 1,296 rushing yards and 31 touchdowns under his belt, it is obvious why Maui is so well liked both on the football field and off. Maui humbly admitted in his interview, “I feel like I’m winning something meant for someone more special.”

Courtesy of Yearbook
Homecoming King Nominee Blake Johnson’s senior picture

Blake Johnson, another King nominee, is also the winner of “Most Likely to Brighten Someone’s Day” in the yearbook this year. Johnson is on the football team as well and says being up there with his friends is creating the perfect high school memory. Even though he admitted that everyone on the court has a good chance at winning, Johnson stayed humble during his interview. Johnson said, “I don’t care who votes for me, I’m excited just to be on the court and to see which one of my homies wins.”

Courtesy of Yearbook
Homecoming King Nominee Seth Taylor’s senior picture

As a part of the CHP Explorer Program, Campus Life, KTHN, Water Polo team and the Track team, Seth Taylor has the opportunity to make a lot of friendships. This is most likely the reason he was voted for as one of Taft High’s Homecoming King nominees. Taylor claims he is a helpful and kind person who tries to make everyone around him smile. He hopes to become a firefighter when he is older so that he can continue to be the helpful person he always has been. Taylor  closed his interview with, “I’m not necessarily trying my hardest to win, but I’m definitely happy to be on the court. I feel loved.”

Courtesy of Yearbook
Homecoming King Nominee Jacob Gonzales’s senior portrait

Jacob Gonzales, also known as Jdizzleproductions on YOUTube, claims that he talks about being on the court to his family all the time. Gonzales said he feels like people voted for him because he’s involved with so many activities and sports, such as: Taft High Football, ASB (President), Camp Sunshine Dreams (staff member), and the Taft High Rallies (Commissioner). Gonzales admitted in his interview, “I’m extremely honored and honestly surprised. I thought the cool kids would get nominated.” Jacob would also like to ask everyone to subscribe to his YOUTube channel (username is said above).

Courtesy of Yearbook
Homecoming King Nominee Zack Tuaila’s senior picture

Zack Tuaila, a well-known football, basketball, and track athlete, states that he doesn’t mind who votes for him or who wins. He says that for him it’s just about making memories and enjoying his senior year. Tuaila would be happy for the winner because he is still having fun throughout the process and believes that if people do vote for him, then it’s because he is a known three-sport athlete and his group of friends takes partial credit in him being well known to our school. Aside from himself, the other nominees for king are also Zack’s close friends, so he’d be happy to see any of them win Homecoming King.

Taft High students submit final votes on Monday and Tuesday with the winners will be announced on Wednesday at Powderpuff (King) and Friday before the Varsity Homecoming game (Queen).