The Legacy of Kelsey Meadows

Gusher Staff

Taft High students show their love for Kelsey Meadows and her family. Students pictured: Malynn Stepp, Regan Barnachia, and Hannah Huckins

No amount of writing can fully describe or capture the amount of heartache felt by the family of Miss Meadows or the countless students and staff members she has positively impacted. Even though her life ended way too soon, she was still able to reach many hearts and uplift many spirits. Kelsey Meadows attended, graduated and, as of 2012, has been substituting at Taft Union High School where she has been a respected and loved member of our entire community. Regretfully, she was one of the 58 people who lost their lives to the Las Vegas tragedy.

Whenever the school announced the conformation everyone feared to the students, we could feel the ambience change when entering the campus. “In situations like these we need to  be a little more perceptive of others, and how they are coping,” Campus Supervisor and long-time friend Kim Fields explained. When a tragedy like this strikes, everyone is going to grieve differently, so compassion, patience, and the basic consideration of other people’s feelings are always the key things to remember in situations like these.

Though Miss Meadows’s life was cut short, it was enough time for her to impact many students at Taft High, where she substitute taught. She was a quiet and caring human being who wanted nothing more than to motivate students not to give up and to encourage them. Kim Fields shed some light on the kind of person Miss Meadows was, “Kids said she was nice, sweet, kind, compassionate… ‘I knew she cared about me. She also helped me with math. She always told me to never give up’ is what I kept hearing.”  Miss Meadows left this world with an inspiring legacy behind her. “When something like this happens, it brings out the best in people.” stated Fields. People try to find ways to comfort one another in these situations. It brings the community together as a whole to find a way to cope by uplifting each other, just as Miss Meadows uplifted the people around her.

People don’t care how much you know, until they know how much you care.

— Kim Fields

Kelsey Meadows wanted to become a teacher, and even though she was unable to fully reach her goal, there is now a way for someone with that same goal to achieve it.  A scholarship fund will be going to a senior with the same aspirations to become a teacher. Even after passing, Miss Meadows is still contributing to the hopes and dreams of students just as she would if she were still here. “People asked me: what are you going to get from all this? I reply with: when I die, I don’t care if they say I was a good campus supervisor. I want them to say everything they did about Miss Meadows,” said Fields.

Fields left our conversation with, “People don’t care how much you know, until they know how much you care.” This statement by Fields perfectly describes Kelsey Meadows.

People are not going to remember you by the things you have or how smart you are. They are going to remember you by the way you made them feel, and the way you made the people around you feel. Kelsey Meadows made people around her feel cared about, and that their lives had meaning…that if they didn’t quit, they could achieve the unachievable.