Spring Sports Banquet showcases our final season of the school year

The Spring Sports Banquet started off with hors d’oeuvres served by the TUHS Culinary Arts students and teacher, Carlos Chavira. Parents and athletes took the time to enjoy this meal before the awards in Mullen Gym. They started off by announcing the scholar athletes. For the girls, it 

Tyler Nguyen Ngo with his Scholar Athlete award. After hard work and dedication he was able to achieve high grade while playing tennis.

was Reagan Hamilton, who played softball. A tennis player, Tyler Nguyen Ngo, won the boys scholar athlete award. After that, they had Bryson Ginn sign his letter of intent. Finally, they told all the parents and students where their teams would be distributing their awards.

Brian Rivera Garcia, Tyler Nguyen Ngo, Rodolfo Magana Lopez, and Bryson Ginn are all seniors and received plaques. Most off them played all four years and became friends through tennis.

After the ceremony in the gym, the tennis team went to the library to receive awards. Out of the whole JV team, only three members were present. Richard Nava received the ‘Most Improved’ plaque for learning how to play the sport more extraordinarily. Gustavo Ruiz and Yair Ruiz were the doubles team and they played well this year. Gustavo got the ‘Most Valuable Player’ for being a good player on his team.

The varsity coach for this year was Bill Friend. He helped the team go to playoffs. German Mejia got ‘Most Improved’ for becoming better day-by-day. Bryson Ginn got the Coach’s Award. This year there was not one, not two, but three MVPs. The three MVPs were Bryan Ruiz, Rodolfo Magana, and Tyler Nguyen. The seniors and most of the underclassmen had a great season and are proud of how it ended.

Track and Field had a pretty successful season for the boys and girls teams, Jonathan Hopkins and Drake Null-Silva led the way for the boys team, while Bree Johansen and Alice Tauta led the way for the girls. To highlight some of their accomplishments, Jonathan Hopkins doubled up in league championships in the 110-meter hurdles and the pole vault, Drake Null-Silva placed second in league in the high jump, Alice Tauta placed third in league in the women’s varsity discus, and Bree Johansen was a league champion in the 300-meter hurdles and placed second in the 100-meter dash. At the awards banquet, Jonathan Hopkins earned Wildcat of the Year, Oscar Arellano received Runner of the Year, the sophomore Craig Popejoy earned Sprinter of the Year, another sophomore, Ilan Katz received Thrower of the Year, Rookie of the Year was given to Alice Tauta, and the Coach’s award was given to Jennifer Atriano. All of these athletes that earned awards are all underclassmen and will be back for the next season, we look forward to seeing how much better they get for next year’s track season.

As the softball season came to a close, the varsity Lady Cats finished with an overall record of 14-8-1. In league, they went 10-2, where they finished second. This is the first year they have not won league after seven consecutive years. Next year, everyone except two seniors, will be returning to work for the 2020 league title. Head coach Russell Emberson said, “I feel like we did fairly well. We have a lot of work to do on both offense and defense for next year. The team needs to work hard over the summer and fall to be in better shape both physically and mentally for the start of next season.” When asked what techniques he uses to push the girls to their full extent, he said, “I just try and get the girls to believe in themselves and to work to be the best that they can be. We are always talking about being perfect on the routine plays. The spectacular plays will come, but we must be able to play defense and make the routine plays.” Senior Jonelle Rouell said, “The softball season has been an amazing experience to say the least. The coaches combined hard work to motivate each and every player to be their best. I’m definitely going to miss the girls from the team. I’ll always remember gaining friendships and being partners with Mo! It was a blessing to be able to create one last memory before I graduate.” This year, four players received First-Team-All-League and two received Second-Team-All-League. The following players have received First Team: Reagan Montgomery, Raygan Wescott, Kyleigh Phillips, and Tayler Portenga. The following players have received Second Team: Bree Johansen and Sierra Kozloski. The players all were also given the opportunity to receive an award from the coaches.  For the varsity team, Kyleigh Phillips received MVP Offensive Player, Taylor Portenga received MVP Defensive Player, Raygan Wescott and Reagan Montgomery both received Captain awards, Morgan Pulido received Coach’s Award, Sierra Kozloski received Utility Player Award, and Bailey Harrington received the Rookie of the Year award. For the JV team, Captain Awards were given to Alexis McCord and Shelby Lee, Most Improved Athlete was given to Jazmine Hunt, Lady Wildcat was given to Judith Lopez, and Most Valuable Player was given to Naveah Adams. Lastly, for the frosh team, Offensive Player was given to Sylver Hedrick, Defensive Player was given to Kaylie Hale, and Coach’s Award was given to Emily Johns.

As the baseball season came to an end, the boys were awarded with a slap on the back along with their other awards. Jackson Van Roekel got the MVP award, following Corbin Yaws with the Cy Young award, Logun Clark with the Silver Slugger, Reese Hammons with the Gold Glove, Eduardo Castro was given Teammate of the Year, and Dennis Posey got the True Grit award.

Out of all of the teams in SSL, Logun Clark, Skyler Self, Jackson Van Roekel, Corbin Yaws, Reese Hammons, and Jackson Berryall got First Team, which is an award that they got by out of all the teams in league after all of the coaches voted for whomever they wanted. They were voted the best or one of the best at their respective positions. The six listed were all first team. They had no second team or honorable mention this year. There were six boys that got awarded from the JV team as well. Garrett Jeffries got the Defensive Player of the Year, Bryce Veach got the award Rookie of the Year. Kyler Miles with the Pitcher of the Year award, Kristopher Downey with Offensive Player of the Year, and Zachary McCord and Blake Boyd got the Coach’s award. The Frosh/Soph baseball team had five teammates who were awarded. Kalub Hammons got the MVP award, Thomas Montaudon with the Gold Glove award. Finally, the coaches awarded Zander Pulido with the Silver Slugger award, Jared Santiesteban with Most Improved, and Matthew Eveland with the Coach’s Award.

After four years of being dedicated to golf, senior Dawson Lopez received a plaque for being Team Captain and SSL Player of the Year. Spencer Cole, Wildcat of the Year, will be taking his place next year as team captain. Coletin Hamblin got Rookie of the Year. He was playing baseball, but went to the golf tournaments. Julian Johnson got an award for having a record high of consistent strokes from South Sequoia League.

Isabella Salazar Martinez
Breann Bracken competed this season for swimming.

Swim and Dive athletes and parents were able to remain in Mullen Gym after the main event to receive their awards. Coach Steve Parker awarded Dakoda Brock with Most Improved Boy. Sydney Campbell received Most Improved Girl. Callie White got the Rookie of the Year for girls, and Daniel Velarde received Rookie of the Year as well. Ryan Hickernell got the Team Captain award for boys, and Breann Bracken got it for girls. The MVP award went to Presley Golling. The Coach’s award was given to Kaleb Hillan. Most Versatile Swimmer went to John Van Roekel.

For the competition cheer, they met up in Mrs. Morris’s room. They had a successful season this year. Out of all her cheerleaders only two received plaques. Most Improved was Xitaly Gonzalez. Jeb Burke got Most Dedicated. They ended the season receiving third place against North, South, and Foothill. Here’s what coach Morris had to say when asked if there were any problems and how she feels about next season: “We really had no problems this year. We lost a few members at the start of the season, but we were able to make up for the missing members quickly. We are really excited about next season and can’t wait to get started.”