Opinions Never Tasted So Good

Gusher Staff

Pastries served during Pastries with the Principal

In the Boardroom, on November 8, students addressed some of their concerns and opinions with the principal during Pizza With the Principal. These meetings have been going on once every month, and the numbers of students attending these meeting are growing as more students are becoming aware of it. The meetings will now continue to be held in the Boardroom from now on. Pastries with the Principal happened the following Thursday morning, during planning time.  Both of these meetings give students, staff, and community members opportunities to discuss issues.

One of the topics of the meeting was about not being able to sell candy during school and the reasoning behind it. The reason why students are not permitted to sell candy is because “Michelle Obama changed the nutritional guidelines in our schools; we have to follow those. We don’t get a choice,” claimed Mrs. Finn. One of the solutions to this campus-wide problem is for students to, “Sell candy 30 minutes after or before; that’s why we sell that kind of stuff at football games.” stated Mrs. Finn. If a student is needing to sell candy for a sports fundraiser, they could tell their peers who are interested in purchasing candy during school, and meet up with them 30 minutes after school.

Another concern addressed was why Seniors aren’t aloud to have tutorials anymore, and what brought the school to that decision. Mrs. Finn touched on the difficulties we each will face, and how she and Taft High have tried to give us the preparation we need: “I feel morally obligated to give you a sense of what it takes to make it in the real world.” She also told us a story of her struggles when she was in college, and how she felt unprepared, “It was heartbreaking for my parents to hear me say ‘I’m not smart enough for this’ and them having to convince me that I was smart enough.” The conclusion of this topic was that Seniors need to be prepared for the struggles to come, so by closing one door to them it will open many more on their paths to success.