Taft High Oil-Tech Academy Dedicated Building to Fred and Barbara Holmes

The newly dedicated sign to Fred and Barbara Holmes.

The Taft Union High School Oil Technology Academy dedicated the Oil Technology Academy Laboratory to Fred and Barbara Holmes at a community event Tuesday evening. The event included special recognitions, remarks, and a tour of the building.

Several dignitaries were present, including Shannon Grove, Taft Mayor Dave Noerr and representatives from Vince Fong’s office.  

The building was dedicated to Fred and Barbara Holmes for their commitment to the community, Taft High, and the education of students. “It’s only fitting for this building to be named after Fred and Barbara Holmes for all they have done,” commented Ted Pendergrass, Oil Technology Academy Coordinator.

The evening included a presentation of a special Congressional recognition of “outstanding and invaluable service to the community” from Kevin McCarthy.

Rick Woodson, a founding member of the Oil Technology Academy Teachers gave a brief history of the Academy and how he and Fred Holmes started the process with a fund of $5,000 in 1998.  He said, “I’m not used to asking for money,” to which Holmes replied, “Get used to it.” Woodson followed with, “When these folks make a commitment, they make a commitment…I can’t think of a couple more deserving of this honor.”  

Barbara Holmes spoke briefly about the recognition saying, “I love Taft High. I love the Oil Tech Academy.”  

Fred Holmes then discussed how the Academy started and that he never thought he would be back on a high school campus. He thought, “I’m going to do something anyhow–even if it’s stupid.”  He was unsure, in the beginning, if this idea would actually work. Holmes was very humble when he received this recognition, even though he has done so much for Taft High and the program.  He also gave credit to the Oil Tech teachers and staff for their hard work. “The people of Kern County, and of Taft, make this grow.”

As Woodson stated during his remarks, “They believe in community.”  Fred and Barbara Holmes have contributed to the program’s ongoing success that began almost 20 years ago.  Their commitment and community involvement is now forever emblemized by the building that will bear their names.