September Board Meetings

Gusher Staff

Board members Twisselman, Linder, Ortlieb, Kopp, and Berry pictured along with Superintendent Cavazos and Secretary Julie Gragg. HR Manager Lori Blodorn is in the audience.

During the September Board Meetings, there was discussion on a number of topics; among them was a considered decision to revoke student pay in classes that have stated in the curriculum, a “work experience”. Board Member Wendy Berry had much to say on the topic, stating she would like to have a “list of what we are paying students to do” and the board discussed the fact that they are not obligated to provide income to students. This may seem unfair to some students that work at the school and are used to receiving the income from student work opportunities.

Also, taking place during the meeting were mentions by ASB President Jacob Gonzales of an issue that seems to be leaving some students hungry in the mornings. Only one lunch line is open during breakfast, and some Taft High students aren’t getting their breakfast in the mix of frantic classmates that flood the line before class starts. Gonzales has made attempts to address the matter with Taft High authorities and will continue his fight for our food as the year goes on.

Following those discussions was the subject of Homecoming! For the dance, which has been decided to be video game themed; there will be more entertainment than usual for Taft High during that night. A video game vehicle will be present with consoles for the hardcore gamers attending the dance who want to take a break from dancing and have some competitive fun with their friends.

Also mentioned, a “Movie Night” on the football field is planned for after football season as a “bye week” event for the Taft High football team and Wildcat students. A movie will be shown and students can sit out on the field to watch together after school.

Overall, the meetings were filled with much discussion and, throughout the year, there will be many more interesting topics discussed.

Several teachers were present during one of the Special Board meetings held during lunch.