The Gusher

Taft FFA Chapter gives thanks to the community

Back to Article
Back to Article

One of the centerpieces set up by the Taft FFA Chapter. Secretary Mataya Arguelles stated,

One of the centerpieces set up by the Taft FFA Chapter. Secretary Mataya Arguelles stated, "We plan events and work together to make them happen." These centerpieces had scarecrows, as is traditional for autumn decorations.

Thalia Villanueva

Thalia Villanueva

Thalia Villanueva

Tesla Barnes
(Photo credit: Tesla Barnes) Taft Chapter FFA Treasurer Chayse Dean glancing back at a Gusher reporter. Each Chapter Officer is stationed beside an item of the FFA as a symbolism of their duties. Chayse Dean stated, “The plow is the symbol of labor and tillage of the soil. Without labor, neither knowledge nor wisdom can accomplish much. My duties require me to assist at all times in directing the work of our organization. I preside over meetings in the absence of our president, whose place is beneath the rising sun.” when asked why he was stationed by the plow.

The Taft FFA Chapter decided to thank their community and students who took part in helping with the Kern County Fair successions. The FFA meeting started at 5:30 PM on Nov. 8 2018, Taft FFA Chapter President Andrew Parker opened the meeting with the traditional bang of the gavel. The Taft FFA Chapter first stated their position and why they were so stationed. After listing their positions and duties, the Taft Chapter greeted their guests and gave thanks for their hardworking community. Andrew Parker announced, “The Taft FFA success is the people who work tirelessly, selfless, devoted time and energy to the task at hand.”

After formally greeting guests, the Taft Chapter started dismissing tables to be served.  The banquet took place at the Taft FFA farm, tables set out and draped with tablecloths and centerpieces consisting of mason jars and traditional Thanksgiving decorations. The meal itself consisted of a variety of desserts, lemonade, tri-tip made at the farm, green beans, potato salad, and bread rolls.

To show gratitude to the community, the Taft FFA Chapter presented awards after the meal. One of the awards presented was to show their appreciation to the help given by the community. Some of the community businesses involved included Westside Arms, J & D’s Recycling, Shaw’s Western Shop, West Side Waste Management, and many more. Other awards and recognitions included Agricultural Mechanics Participation (Charles Buddell, Richard Collins, Rae-Lynn Cribben, Aaron Cross, Chayse Dean, and more), Individuals with Alpaca Projects (Dakoda Brock and one other), Individuals with Turkey Projects (Cribben, Parker), Individuals with Swan Projects (Courtney Benavides, Buddell, Matthew Eveland, Emily Johns, Macaela Reilly, and more), and many more.

If community members or Taft Union High School students wish to attend future Taft Chapter FFA events, they are encouraged to contact Todd Bass or Steve Parker.

Tesla Barnes
(Photo credit: Tesla Barnes) New Taft Chapter FFA member Dakoda Brock smiles while awaiting the meeting to start.

• Taft FFA Chapter gives thanks to the community

Clubs and Curriculum

Drumline and Competition Cheer take 2nd place in PPAACC

Clubs and Curriculum

Annual Christmas Tree Contest

Clubs and Curriculum

Garden Club happenings

• Clubs and Curriculum

TUHS musicians and singers ready to bring in the holidays

Clubs and Curriculum

Taft High gives thanks

Clubs and Curriculum

Taft FFA Chapter makes a Haunted Greenhouse

Clubs and Curriculum

Falling for music

Clubs and Curriculum

Good grades celebrated with ice cream

• Clubs and Curriculum

Fall Recognition Dinner and Turkey Shoot

Clubs and Curriculum

TUHS Band presents an incredible performance

The Student News Site of Taft Union High School