Wildcats welcomed to the new year

Mariah N.

(Mariah N.) Kim Fields giving a speech to every student in Taft Union High. This was the students first assembly of the year.

Taft Union High School welcomed returning Wildcats and incoming freshmen with a “High-Five Highway” on the first day of school. Staff members and ASB students, lined up, one-by-one to high-five each student on their way into the campus. Freshman, Mariana Gonzalez said, “Well, I thought it was pretty nice and that it was a great way to welcome the freshman and non-freshman.”

Throughout the day, each class went to Martin Memorial Stadium where they enjoyed games with their class. They had many different activities, such as hula hoop pass, tug-of-war, and other recreational games. Students were given the choice of candy choices. Each candy indicated which activity the individual did first. Everyone played the game for eight minutes, then switched stations.

After the students had lunch, they went into the auditorium to listen to one of the school’s campus supervisors, Kim Fields. Fields used his presentation, “The Road to Success,” to get students and staff excited for the incoming school year.