TUHS Parent Academy Encourages Community Involvement

Jonah Armstrong

Maino Maino and CJ Green serving food to parents.

Parent Academy was presented by TUHSD in collaboration with CTEC and the West Kern Adult Education Network. Parents initially participated in a technology session where they learned about TUHSD’s efforts to foster appropriate use of cell phones and technology. This first 15-minute session was the district’s follow through with the parent education and support initiative to improve student safety on social media sites such as FaceBook, Instagram, etc. This session was then followed up by two break-out sessions. The break-out sessions were on the topics of healthy eating and the fundamentals of mechanics.  

Jonah Armstrong
Mr. Hooker and Mr. Chavira conversing as parents arrive for the event.

The foods program has always been a huge part of Taft Union High School and this year is no exception. Many students are learning so much more than just how to cook food. They are learning the different types of foods in cultures and styles. The foods teacher, Mr. Chavira, has really impacted the school in a positive way and wants to impact the lives of the students. The students cook for different events and staff on campus when the opportunity arises. Mr. Chavira’s students provided dinner for the parents of Taft High students as part of the Parent Academy. The parents were able to see what students would learn in the culinary portion of the CTEC program.

The students prepared traditional lasagna, pesto lasagna, Italian salad, breadsticks and antipasto. After the dinner, parents visited a culinary classroom where Mr. Chavira conducted a “healthy culinary demonstration”. He prepared chicken cacciatore and ratatouille for the demonstration. This class was taught in both the Spanish and English sessions on March 1 and 8 and the parents who attended enjoyed the class.

Parents also showed an interest in Auto Shop Fundamentals and were able to discover what the school is able to provide educationally and and fundamentally for the students of TUHS.