Students Share Art with Community

James Buddell

From outside the art show, a patron views the students’ work.

Art club president, Marcos Alfaro, has been hard at work in preparing and putting on Taft High’s first ever student art show. Not only was it the first show, but it was the biggest production the club has put on. The process began back in September with members of the club coming together in deciding a theme and discussing how fundraising could coincide with the show. The theme would eventually become “mythology” and the price of the show would be free to the public.

James Buddell
Student art displayed at Paint the Town on Center Street.

Students were given until January to submit their artwork and, at first, only four pieces were turned in until art teacher, Sophie Rasmussen, came up with the idea of using artwork from current students and going personally to students in asking permission for using their classwork which fit the theme. In total, 22 pieces were displayed at the Fertile Earth Nursery & Garden Center in partnership with Paint the Town. Megan Luton, owner of Paint the Town was able to provide the Art Club with a location and advice as to how to run the show. President Marcos Alfaro described the experience: “Oh gosh, it was definitely an experience I don’t think I’ll ever forget. Personally, I’m not very organized, so I didn’t exactly know what to expect. I was very hesitant to go on with the show, but after some thinking and planning, I ultimately went on with it. At first, I was super excited to do it; this is one of the biggest milestones of my life, so to think I could coordinate something

James Buddell
Sophie Rasmussen greets patrons at the door to the show.

like this was new and exciting. Then, as time passed, I got a little stressed due to events of not having enough artwork to display, but eventually I got over it. As the show was happening, it was such a surreal experience, playing host, putting everything together, and just putting something like this on. It was great to see all these people come and support the club.”

The show went smoothly. Families came in and out to experience the work of students and see what Taft High has to offer. By the end of the night, the club was able to pull in $44 in donations. Another show is coming May 4th.