Operation Christmas Child Goes Global

Students+and+kids+who+participated+in+Operation+Christmas+Child.+

Sarah Hamblin

Students and kids who participated in Operation Christmas Child.

Operation Christmas Child is an international effort to take Christmas gifts to children all over the world who would otherwise not receive any Christmas gifts. Many times, the gifts received through Operation Christmas Child have been reported to be the very first Christmas gift that child had ever received. This program is run by Samaritan’s Purse, an International Evangelical Organization.

Mark Fitzsimmons
Boxes of gifts ready to be sent to children

In Taft, the area coordinator for Operation Christmas Child is Kim Miller. Kim is a member of Lighthouse Foursquare Church in Taft and, along with the church, the church members, and many volunteers, Lighthouse hosts an annual packing party to pack shoe boxes full of items like toys, school supplies, gift items, hygiene items and sports equipment like soccer balls. These shoe boxes are then packed and sent to a regional collection center where they are processed and then shipped to children all over the world.

Sofia Zendejas
Rylea Summitt preparing boxes of gifts

Lighthouse Foursquare Church has received several letters from children in places like the Philippine Islands expressing their thanks for the gifts. Pastor of Lighthouse Church, Mark Fitzsimmons, has maintained contact with a pastor from the Philippine Islands on Facebook. Pastor Suarez sent a letter detailing the impact the gifts from our church made on the children way back in the mountainous region where he lives.

Sofia Zendejas
Cielo Woggn building more boxes to add in the pile.

This year, many students from Taft High School packed boxes at the shoebox packing party. Mrs. Heber gathered supplies for the boxes, and organized the S club members to volunteer their services to help pack shoeboxes. Along with the S club, the Key Club, and AVID members also worked very hard at packing boxes. Close to 1,000 boxes were packed with the help of these wonderful TUHS students and staff, along with church members from Lighthouse. These boxes will travel all around the world and be a Christmas blessing to children and families who so very desperately need the blessing.