New Classes for 2017

Here at TUHS, we have a few new classes for students to interact with and dive into, such as Film Appreciation, String Orchestra, Intermediate Art, and Health Care. We are also introducing a Stem Robotics class as well as a Personalized Academic Center (PAC).

The recently added Film Appreciation class is run by Mr. Van Roekel. The eighteen students involved in this seventh period class learn how film is made, the history of film, the different genres of film, and much more. Van Roekel was asked what else the class does besides watch films, and his response was, “You’ll be discussing how the film and characters make you feel.”

Jonah Armstrong
Students (left to right) Kaleb Hillan, Frederick Bavinez, and Chris Green warm up for the new strings class.

To add to the recent classes in our school, we have introduced String Orchestra, run by our band teacher Mrs. Posey. This class offers something different for the students; it completes the rest of the music program, and much more. There will not be any competitions for the first two or so years, although the students will put on a Christmas concert later in the year as they continue to learn.

In addition to these interesting new classes, TUHS presents an Intermediate Art class that is taught by Mrs. Rassmussen. She wants a program that has more depth of knowledge in art. The teacher was asked, “What makes this class unique or different from your others?” To which Rassmussen replied, “It allows them to explore their style and technique.”

Our new Health Care Class is directed by Ms. Ashley for the meantime until Christmas break when the students will be educated by a trained helper for the remainder of the year. Taft High is now the only school in Kern County that has this class; it is a unique curriculum altogether. The students learn all about the Healthcare field for free while in high school; whereas, a similar class would be costly after high school. Students who are able to take this class and learn about the field feel extremely lucky and are eager to be taught.

Jonah Armstrong
Hung Shen Chen tries out a setup from the Stem Robotics class.

The Stem Robotics class here at Taft High is run by Mr. Taylor. Students will learn how to build automated robots to a point where they become autonomous and can carry out tasks without using a controller. Competitions will not be expected any time soon and more information will be given soon as the year progresses.

Taft High is also running a PAC class, which is an independent studies class for students with individual needs. This helpful class is taught by Ms. Lopez; when asked what lead her to her interest in teaching this class, Ms. Lopez responded with, “I came from an alternate program from the county… I enjoy working with the kids to help them progress their learning skills.” Some improvements she has seen so far this year include attendance, academic growth, and teacher-communication skills.

As first and second year classes introduced to our school, Taft High has several new classes that give opportunity and interest to the students. With them now being integrated into the school, it adds a more interactive environment while learning for both teachers and students of Taft High.