Scheduling surprise for one AVID student

A sophomore was removed from the AVID program during the summer of 2019 without their knowledge.

AVID is supposed to send out a letter to the student they have decided to remove; however, this student didn’t see one. 

The reason behind the student being removed from the program that boasts about how they prepare kids for college and one of their main goals is to help improve grades, removed a student for having a low “D” in one class. The student has requested to be kept anonymous.

“I was surprised and a little kinda disappointed,” says the sophomore. “I would have at least liked a heads up.”

The AVID policy focuses on helping struggling students obtain a good GPA and be prepared for harder classes. It is rather strange that the student was removed without their knowledge.

“AVID accelerates underachieving students into more rigorous courses, instead of consigning them to dead-end remedial programs,” states the AVID program and how it works for each student.

AVID does have requirements for who is eligible for the program and it caters to the students in the 50th-80th percentile.

Since the program is designed to prepare students for four-year universities, students must earn Cs or higher in A-G courses and earn at least a 2.5 GPA to maintain their A-G standing and stay in the program,” says Mrs. Sutherland, the AVID guidance counselor.

“When a student falls below a certain GPA or earns D’s/F’s in courses they are placed on probation and notified in writing.  If they do not improve by the next grading period they will be dropped from the program.” 

Therefore, if a student fails to raise their grades within the amount of time given, they will be removed from AVID.  However, the parents are notified of their child’s removal via Drop letter and, if the parent would like to have their child stay in AVID, they can encourage their student to re-apply the following semester if their grades go back to positive A-G standing.

It is possible that the letter was lost in the mail, thrown out by mistake, or just forgotten about. This is a single incident that may serve as a reminder for students to check program requirements.