Lights out in Taft

Students+gathered+in+the+quad+listening+to+staff+giving+instructions.+

Anastasia Motz

Students gathered in the quad listening to staff giving instructions.

Many unexpected things have happened this year, including a sudden power outage throughout Taft. PG&E had a problem with the power Friday, October 17 during lunch, which caused the power to go out for a short period of time. Many people started screaming, “It’s the apocalypse!” While other people started chanting, “Let’s go home!” All students that were in the cafeteria or in classrooms talking to teachers were told to go into the quad and wait for someone to tell them what to do next.

Anastasia Motz
Assistant Principal Monica Toro announcing to the students that they need to head to the football field.

The staff in the Attendance office called PG&E to see what was going on but even they didn’t know. After talking for a few more minutes to see when the power would be back on, the staff was told it would be turned back on around 3:15 pm. This meant that the students had to be sent home because, without power, the school could not continue. So, all students were told to go to the stadium and wait for further instructions. 

Anastasia Motz
Students waiting for staff to tell them what to do during the outage.

When the students were settled in the stands, they were told the time the power should be back on and that all Homecoming events would go on as scheduled, but to watch the website for final determinations. Then, the students were dismissed by section and allowed to go home. However, PG&E managed to figure out what had happened and turned the power back on only an hour after it shut off. Since all the students were already gone, they weren’t told that they had to come back with school only having two to three hours left. The school continued as normal the following Monday and Homecoming activities continued as planned.

Anastasia Motz
Students gathering in the stadium to wait for further instructions.