Freshman Registration takes place Wednesday evening

Sofia Zendejas

Students and staff gather in the quad during last year’s event.

The new members of the Wildcat family will be welcomed to Taft Union High School with registration and an introduction to clubs, sports, and activities available as part of the student activities scheduled for Wednesday, Feb. 27.

For those who need assistance with online registration, a requirement before beginning the checkpoints on registration night, parents/guardians can meet with school personnel on Monday or Tuesday evening (Feb. 25-26) from 5-7 p.m. in the I.R.C. Lecture Hall adjacent to the cafeteria. This will allow everyone to be ready for the checkpoints on Wednesday, such as taking the picture for the school I.D. and completing pre-registration for Fall classes.

Freshman Registration will include several checkpoints. The first checkpoint is to ensure all information is completed. If any data is missing, students and parents will need to go to the I.R.C. Lecture Hall to complete missing components. After that step, it will be time for the excitement. In the quad area, there will be tables with information on clubs, sports, and programs available at TUHS. Students can explore options before they sit down to choose classes and potential Career Technical Education (CTE) Pathways.

On the way to the cafeteria, students will stop by the library for an I.D. picture and a t-shirt. A.S.B. and Human Element students are planning to share some fun introductions to Taft High in that area.

After visiting the library, the next stop is a walk by the student store area where merchandise is available to view and purchase. 2020 Derricks (the yearbook) and A.S.B stickers will be on sale for a special discount at a table staffed by business office personnel. Super stickers will be $50, which enables students to enter all home dances and games except prom and playoffs for FREE) and basic A.S.B. stickers will be $10 (allows discount entries). The 2020 yearbook, the Derrick, will be on sale for $65.

In the cafeteria, students will sit with a faculty member to choose elective courses and CTE Pathways. This is a time where parents/guardians and students can explore options and complete the pre-registration process. Students have already been tested for placement in core areas.

Incoming freshmen are encouraged to arrive on campus at the designated times to avoid crowded areas.  Students are assigned a time according to the first letter of their last name:

A – F: 5:00 PM – 5:30 PM

G – M: 5:30 PM – 6:00 PM    

N – R: 6:00 PM – 6:30 PM

S – Z: 6:30 PM – 7:00 PM