Marquees get a new look

Thalia Villanueva

The marquee on 10th street. “…but the budget the way it is, I don’t know how much money they’re going to let us spend on marquees.” MOT department manager Rocky O’Neil said. A new banner is also displayed among the newly painted marquee.

The beloved marquee on the tenth street by the softball fields has undergone some modifications. About two years ago, the marquee stopped working due to an overheating problem. When asked about the failure of the marquee, MOT manager, Rocky O’Neill explained, “It’s got a problem with the heat out here. So there are power supplies that run each section, so each section…I’m guessing there are 16 sections across it. So, each section is like a two-by-two or something; there’s a power supply to each one, and when they overheat, they die.”

The marquee has been sitting there beaten and broken for two whole years, but this year it has been repainted and fixed up. Unfortunately, the lights will not be fixed, but there has been a substitution of sorts. O’Neill has attached a banner in lieu of the screen of lights that was previously there. “I don’t know if we’re actually going to repair it; I don’t know what the cost would be,” O’Neill declared. “But it’s going to be expensive to repair it, so I think we might be looking at a replacement. But the budget the way it is, I don’t know how much money they’re going to let us spend on marquees.”

The marquee on tenth has been part of the history of this school for at least 10 years. It was used for announcements, what’s going at the school, sporting events, honor roll releases, and more school-related information. O’Neill also notified student press the other marquee on San Emidio and Wildcat Way may be modified or removed sometime in the future. The marquee on San Emidio and Wildcat Way has been up for at least 15-20 years now.