Taft High’s code of ethics questioned

Will it need to be revised?

John+Kopp+and+Paul+Linder+attending+the+Sept.+10+board+meeting.+Kopp+speaking+to+the+those+in+the+board+room.+

Jonah Armstrong

John Kopp and Paul Linder attending the Sept. 10 board meeting. Kopp speaking to the those in the board room.

On Sept. 10, 2018, the TUHS board meeting was filled with some levity but, due to recent events, most of that uplift was overshadowed. Much was discussed at the board meeting with board members enthusiastic about the positive feedback from parents and students, who (so far) are enjoying this new chapter of TUHS. However, as Taft High seems to have entered this new era in its history, many problems have come up concerning some behavioral issues among members of the Wildcat varsity football team. School administration is unable to comment on student discipline, but our student-athletes need to know that policies exist and they can be held accountable for their behavior. A rumored party that is believed to have occurred on Aug. 25 involving several varsity football players was brought up to the Board of Trustees by a concerned football parent. Another issue, which occurred, was on Sept. 7, when the varsity football team and the opposing team, Coalinga High, got into a short scuffle at the end of the game; it is still unknown how it started.

During the board meeting, a grieved parent was given his three minutes to speak to the board out of concern, “as a parent of the varsity football team.” The concerned parent described rumored social media posts of players. The event in question is believed to have happened on Aug. 25, but cannot be confirmed if it really took place. He then followed up by saying to the members of the board, as well as the those who were present in the boardroom, “More than one current varsity football player participated in a going away party for a former student going off to college—these photos circulated all over social media before they were removed—with smoke and various alcohol in the photos.” He then went quickly into on how he believed all student-athletes are under the umbrella of the CIF-Central Section. He also mentioned the CIF Code of Conduct and spoke about the 10 expectations that all athletes under the CIF must adhere to, specifically the 10th expectation, which is, as said by the individual, “Players will conduct their personal lives in a matter that brings honor to themselves and team: this includes school, self-respect, healthy behavior and all forms of social media.”

The individual then went on to say, “what the CIF left out was their town because when you play for Taft High and you put on the blue and gold and it says Taft–you represent 10,000 people here…”

John Kopp, President of the Board of Trustees referred to “Jurisdiction of the Code,” which is found in the school’s “Extra-curricular Activity Code of Ethics” document. Indicated in the code, “The jurisdiction of the code applies to “on and off campus” for all school-sponsored events. Off-campus violations, that are not associated with a school-sponsored event, only come under our jurisdiction if the student/athlete is cited or charged by law enforcement.” Therefore, since the event in question did not take place on school grounds nor was it a school-sponsored event, the supposed student-athletes do not fall under the school’s jurisdiction until such violations are met within the “Jurisdiction of the Code”

Kopp then said, speaking directly to the concerned parent, “…So if that doesn’t happen, it doesn’t officially come under our jurisdiction—then it would be a matter of us deciding as a community that we want to change that, but as it stands that is our code…of course this is the code, but I’m not happy with our students and our coaches and of some of the things that went down not only to the event your talking about, but I wasn’t too proud about what happened Friday night either–we got some cleaning up to do, so no doubt about it, but I appreciate your comments and passion.”

Concerning the altercation that took place on Sept. 7, it is in the California Interscholastic Federation(CIF) – Central Section, Ethics in Sports document in which it indicates, “The Central Section, CIF is committed to the exhibition of sportsmanlike and ethical behaviors in and around all athletic contests. All contests must be safe, courteous, fair, controlled and orderly for all athletes and fans alike. It is the intent of the CIF that violence, in any form, not be tolerated. In order to enforce this policy, the Central Section has established rules and regulations, which set forth the manner of enforcement and of this policy and the penalties incurred when a violation of the policy occurs. The rules and regulations shall focus upon the responsibility of the coach to teach and demand high standards of conduct and to enforce the rules and regulations set forth by CIF.”

However, the CIF code and ethics are more of suggested guidelines rather than rules that can actually be enforced by the CIF, with enforcement of violations being left up to local school districts, though, what occurred on Sept. 7 does come under the school’s jurisdiction in that it was on campus during a school-sponsored event. Not only was it seen by security, staff, and coaches, it was also witnessed by spectators of both the Taft community and Coalinga fans. The school district has addressed the situation but cannot disclose its actions.

It is in the Taft Union High School “Extra-Curricular Activity Code of Ethics” (AD-Revision: April 14th, 2015), which states in its Preamble and Statement of Philosophy that “The Activity and Athletics programs at Taft Union High School are a part of the school curriculum…It is the high school district’s desire to see that proper ideals of sportsmanship, ethical conduct, and fair play are realized by all school personnel, students, and spectators. Everyone concerned should realize that the purpose of a strong co-curricular program is to promote the physical, mental, moral, social, and emotional well being of the individual participants and other members of the student body…Accompanying that privilege is the responsibility of the student to conform to standards established for the Taft Union High School extra-curricular activity programs. The community of Taft, through Taft Union High School, allows the student to act as a representative of the community. In turn, the community requires the student to live up to the obligations and responsibilities expected of a community representative.”

Now a new question has come up regarding whether the school should make changes to its code to ensure student-athletes be held accountable for their actions that go against school code (whether they be on or off-campus), at school-sponsored or non-school sponsored events.