The Gusher

Filed under News

Some Shattering Costs

Back to Article
Back to Article

Some Shattering Costs

Vandalized windows in front of the science building on Wildcat Way.

Jonah Armstrong

Jonah Armstrong

Jonah Armstrong

Over the last three months, 27 windows have been broken at Taft High. Specifically, the science building has been hit hardest, including Mrs. Pendergrass’s room on the lower floors of the building. The persons responsible for the vandalism have not been identified. Other facilities, such as the cafeteria and CTEC have also had broken glass due to rocks being thrown at them, similar to how the windows at the science building have been broken. No connection has been made yet to the different incidents of vandalism at the school.

Jonah Armstrong
Caution tape put up due to the broken glass in front of the science building.

The continued vandalism of the windows is starting to become costly for Taft High, with each window for the cafeteria and the science building averaging at 60 dollars each, with an additional 54 hours of labor at 28 dollars per hour. The total then comes up to $3,132.00, this does not include the cost of the windows that were broken at the CTEC facility. Those windows, being dual-pane, add a little more to the cost to replace them. MOT manager, Rocky O’Neil was asked about the recurring vandalism at TUHS, and he stated, “It’s quite a job for us to replace them.”

The person in question had been seen throwing rocks at the science building early in the morning on May 23, but was not identified, with cameras in front of the science building failing to catch the suspect and only able to get the rock hitting the window. Some precautions have been taken to prevent the windows from being broken, but it seems as though it’s not enough to stop the suspect’s acts of vandalism. If anyone has any information about these incidents, they should contact the attendance office and ask to speak to Mrs. Toro or Officer Gregory or contact the Wildcat Tip Line at (661) 763-2333.

The Student News Site of Taft Union High School
Some Shattering Costs