A Simple Equation

Jonah Armstrong

Joost DeMoes speaking at the January Taft Union High School District Board meeting.

With the budget issue winding things up tight at TUHS, some students and staff have become concerned about the future of Taft High. With things seeming to take a downward spiral, sophomore student Hailey Steele voiced her concerns on the issue, “Cuts on sports such as water polo have affected not only returning players but new players as well, and that hurts our athletes’ chances of getting noticed by colleges, providing fewer opportunities for them and the future students of Taft High.”

Interim Business Manager, Joost DeMoes, has been selected by the School Board to insure things continue to progress as seamlessly as possible, since Business Manager, Chuck Hagstrom, has been put on paid leave. It is still uncertain if Hagstrom will be making a return to Taft High to continue his business management duties. DeMoes will remain as the school’s Business Manager until the end of June. DeMoes stated, “I have thoroughly enjoyed my experience here in Taft; I think there’s a lot of great people here.”

DeMoes was asked if there is any set plan to fix or resolve the budget issue, to which he commented, saying, “The plan is to involve everyone in our school district in setting a decision-making process.” DeMoes went into further detail, explaining that this “team effort” plan will help create the solution to whatever dilemma the school district may have to budgeting. DeMoes also said, “It is typical for most school districts to work as a team to set goals and determine how finances will support these goals–then you have a very simple equation.”

Another query was whether students could help as part in this “team effort” plan, DeMoes remarked saying, “I think students can look at the resources that we pull in and what we use (paper, pencils etc.) and I think the students are doing a great job, day in day out, working to their full potential in the classroom.” DeMoes also went on to say that if the teachers, students, and staff members where to all pull in the same direction, many of distractions that are daily at the school would simply go away and improve the school all around.

DeMoes was also asked about what he feels is the biggest financial concern that the school is facing, and if there is anything the school district can do about it. DeMoes responded by stating, “The biggest financial issue is that there is a gap between how much money comes in and how much goes out, and so it’s that simple equation of revenues minus expenses; you would like to equal to zero or a positive number.” DeMoes did state that the school’s revenues are high, but over time, expenses, such as benefits, salaries, etc. increase over time. DeMoes said, “At some point there becomes a squeeze; so to speak where you start to feel the pinch.” With 16 teachers now on the table to be laid off, TUHS is surely beginning to feel more of a crush than a pinch, so to speak.