The Gusher

Filed under News

Taft High Polishes Its Cell Phone Policy

Red and Green-Zone signs that have been posted in each classroom and office on campus

Kilie Odle

Kilie Odle

Taft High has always had a cell phone policy; teachers have always been able to decide when phones would either disrupt or benefit the educational process. This polished and more clear policy; however, has a “green zone”, and a “red zone”. The “green zone” explains that devices may be out and used for school purposes only, if allowed by the teacher or designated staff member in charge. A “red zone”, however, means that the use of a cell phone is completely off-limits. The designated areas need to be explained and identified so students are aware of what is expected of them. Teachers were asked to coach their students on what the appropriate cell phone use would be in their classroom or area. Monica Toro, Taft High’s assistant principal, was asked what her thoughts on the matter were, to which she responded, “There was a lack of clarity when students would come up to the office or in their classrooms teachers were telling them how and when the appropriate time would be to use them and it was taking up valuable time. Wanting to utilize our time well, we came up with a system that works.” Toro also admitted that she would love for everyone to be responsible and appropriate with their screen-time and that she hopes this policy paves the way for these traits in the future.

• News

FBI Warns of Posting Hoax Threats to Institutions and Launches Campaign to Educate the Public to #ThinkBeforeYouPost

• Taft High Polishes Its Cell Phone Policy

News

Some Shattering Costs

• News

Graduation to be held June 6th

News

Yearbooks Still Available for Purchase

News

Yearbooks are HERE

News

Straight-A Students for 3rd Quarter

News

Wildcats Play in Army Bowl

News

Irreplaceable

News

Farewell to Lindsay Brown

News

Tragedy on Highway 119 (Updated 4/20/18)

The Student News Site of Taft Union High School