C.H.P. Explorers on Safety Patrol

James Buddell

McKenna Kirby eager to distribute fliers at an empty intersection

On November 30, Tom White’s C.H.P. Explorers, a group of Taft High students interested in pursuing careers in the field of Law Enforcement, were given a suggestion by a concerned parent to hand out fliers to anyone committing common traffic violations in the school’s perimeter that Thursday morning. This hands-on club of students have the privilege of experimenting with Law Enforcement while being mentored by former Correctional Officer, Tom White. With two people posted at each intersection in front of Taft Union High School and an additional two putting papers on the windshields of double-parked cars, the club managed to hand out over 60 informational flyers.

While these students observed the traffic and kept an eye out for unsafe drivers, officer Adam Taylor and White patrolled the vicinity to ensure the safety of their C.H.P. Explorers. “This was a courtesy to those who drive to school and those who drop kids off to school,” stated White after the event, “to be mindful and watch the road, and to remember the little things to keep our students safe.” This demonstration was strictly educational, and none of the officers who were present handed out tickets or cited anybody for minor violations.

James Buddell
Tom White in the passenger seat of a Highway Patrol vehicle, patrolling the area.