New Changes to Back to School Night

Sofia Zendejas

Student volunteers served a hot dog dinner.

Mr. Lango introduces the Positive Coaching Alliance presentation

Back to School Night started off with Positive Coaching Alliance presented by Ruben Nieves. He referred to it as an “Interactive Workshop”, for it allowed students and parents to really speak up about what made a sport a good or bad experience. Nieves touched bases with what goals a team has, types of scholarships, the “Three Principles of Positive Coaching”, empowering conversations to have with the students after a game, and, finally, the worst memory parents had while playing a sport. Nieves encouraged students and parents alike to keep their eye on the big picture.

Following the Positive Coaching Alliance presentation was a BBQ and Band performance in the Quad, leading up to the Classroom Open House. A new system was introduced this year at TUHS; instead of following a bell schedule, parents visited each class as they chose.

Sofia Zendejas
Band performance in the Quad

There were both good and bad reviews of the setup. Taft High counselor, Mrs. Sutherland, explained that if you had two or more students attending Taft High it would work in your favor since you could visit each class as you like. As for the teachers, it proved to be a more difficult task. Instead of explaining the curriculum once each period, teachers were more likely to repeat themselves.  One minute it may be that no one was in the class and in the next it would be full.