Girls Golf Team Takes First Place

Dawson Lopez

Girls golf team ready for the season

Taft High’s own girl’s golf team defeated a very vigourous BCHS during the first tournament of the SSL season at Delano Municipal Golf Course. This big of a win at such an early tournament “gives us unbelievable momentum going forward in league play,” pridefully stated golf coach, Mike Cowan.

Who are these girls who pulled off such a victorious win under such difficult course conditions? Senior Sierra Pilgrim started her season with a strong score of 38, in a par 32 course. In her first tournament, freshman Macayla Wells received a higher score of 54 and junior Isabella Martinez came close behind with a 56. Jaye Sparks, a junior, and Carson Burrell, a sophomore, both finished this difficult course with a 58. Freshman Willow Pilgrim then finished the game with a 63.

All six girls contributed to the team with a positive attitude, and rapid improvement with a will to get better. A special recognition came from Dean of Curriculum and Athletics, Peter Lango, for Sierra Pilgrim whose dedication to golf goes beyond just the season, due to the fact that Sierra also practices during the off-season. Altogether there are sixteen girls on the team, which is the largest team Taft High’s girls has recorded.

Considering most of these new ambitious players are freshmen, these new lady cat golf team’s potential is noticeably bright.