What is school for the Wildcats?

Hannah+Cox+and+D+Angelo+Armenta+feel+differently+about+the+same+book.++

Christopher Green

Hannah Cox and D’ Angelo Armenta feel differently about the same book.

Let’s focus on our work, studying, and school related papers for a bit. Or not? It seems there’s a misconception that school isn’t about learning to students. School’s not for people who don’t want to learn, but that’s where the core dilemma lies. Not all students are engaged and some don’t want to receive what the schools have to offer. We, as students, are learning someone’s idea of what education is. Why are we losing interest, becoming lazy, giving up, and not applying ourselves? Is it because we’re forced to go to these schools to eventually settle for a mediocre job or, in the future, go to college. Or, on the other side, why do some want to get stellar grades and reach beyond for their education? There’s is a reason behind this division of thinking. Let this help you understand why.

But first, let’s take a step back and realize school’s main goal: To educate children for the future, or even more so, to prepare people to become economically self-sufficient.

Bella Nuncio, a senior here at Taft High explains what school is for her.

“Yeah, it’s a promise for a better future. I’m very competition-driven.”  She began to express her feelings of what she wants to accomplish and it’s evident that she has a committed attitude. She refuses to make the excuse of, “It’s too hard.” She feels people are not willing to put anything in. “I’m willing to spend all my hours to my responsibility,” she said with an honest smile.

When you’re gradually moving up the high school years, you begin to understand where your goals are and what you want to strive for. Certain things become irrelevant and not as important depending upon what you want to do. Education is important, but so is the individual receiving it. So that’s what next interview is concerning.

I acquired a conversation with another senior student, Katheryn White, or Katie White.

“I like school. I’m passionate about certain things.”She talked about how she focused heavily on her grades and school expectations when she was a freshman and sophomore. Along with that, she also carried stress on her back with the pressure. “My happiness and well being is more important than stress,” she responded. She changed her thinking to pouring herself into things she believes in along with still maintaining her grades as well. “I love exploring different subject matters and the arts are my thing.”

Michael Gomez, a sophomore began to reveal her lack of interest. “I want to drop out,” she told me sternly. She eased up and sighed, “I don’t know, I just don’t have the desire for anything. I feel school is repetitive and most of it is common sense to me.” Mind you, Michael is saying this with grades that have her above a 4.0 G.P.A. She ambiguous about her future but is very intelligent. We ended our conversation with her explaining that she wants to do something outside of the school environment.

Now, how about the students who don’t admire school or people who don’t find passion in subjects. What are their thoughts? There’s many but, interestingly enough, only a select few spoke out. One of those students was Natalie Hampton. Natalie Hampton, a freshman, explained that school is not for her. She states that her future is uncertain and she explains being contented with that. She doesn’t like learning someone else’s idea of education.

After conversing, interviewing, talking, and hearing opinions on what students made of school, I found what I was looking for. Perhaps, I found even more. I learned that students are still growing up and forming their idea of what life can be. If we look pass the test scores, good and bad grades, and all the rest that goes along with school, we can see what each individual wants. Quite frankly, most people don’t know what they want, and that’s okay.  Change your perspective. Let this article serve as a reminder. Let school become a gateway to explore different things and to hopefully find what you want to do. Make it clear that these four years are minuscule compared to the rest of your life, so do what matters to you.